How high can you go? Using plastic cups, craft sticks, plastic cubes or any other form of building block, build a tower that won’t topple. Play this game with family or friends.
This challenge is about working collaboratively and planning your structure carefully. Set yourself the goal of completing it just 30 minutes. Sound easy? It’s not! Expect to have some building disasters during your first attempts. Being comfortable with failure is an essential trait for a successful inventor -it’s how you improve!
Think about balance and the way you need to distribute the weight of your building items evenly to ensure that you have a stable tower.
What you’ll need:
- Plastic cups (lots of them!)
- craft sticks (optional)
- cardboard for extra balance (optional)
How to play
- Work in groups of 2 or more
- Set your timer for 30 mins.
- Start using just the plastic cups to create the tower. The trick is how many cups you use for the tower’s base.
- To make it even more complicated, stack the craft sticks on top of plastic cups in order to build a much more vertical structure than what you can make with cups alone.
- Have a play around with cardboard to create floors to make it even more interesting!
The sky’s the limit (really)
If your tower falls down, start again! Failure is what teaches us how to improve the next time around!
Be green with this activity, don’t just throw out your cups when you’re done! Re-use them and then recycle when done.
Check out Max’s awesome cup towers in the video below